The bergamot is harvested for October onwards. In its early stages it shows an intense green color, which then turns into a more yellowish color, becoming fully juicy in January.
Delicious, fresh and also with curative properties: our bergamots are great for cooking, in the preparation of cakes, jams and liqueurs. By being rich in vitamin C, they also help prevent both high cholesterol and cardiovascular diseases. This is why the bergamot is considered the ultimate healthy citrus fruit.
The fruit of the bergamot tree is known as hesperidium: it has a spherical shape with flattened poles, it is medium-sized and its skin is yellow. Its origins are as ancient as uncertain: according to some sources the plant comes from Eastern areas, while according to others it’s either originally from the Canary Islands or from Calabria. At present, the global cultivation of bergamot takes place in the Italian province of Reggio Calabria, along the Ionian coastal seaside. It is here, in the Locride area, that thanks to the sun exposure, the alluvial land and the microclimate, an optimal and favorable production of bergamot is grown. The cultivated area is in fact well sheltered from the wind coming from the surrounding hills and there about 300 days of sunshine per year.
Regarding the plant type, there are three different cultivars of bergamot:
- ‘Castagnaro’: this is the most rustic and wind-resistant cultivar. The tree produces irregular fruits in both shape and size, with a fair quality and yield of the bergamot essence.
- ‘Fantastico’: this variety is characterized by large and regular yields, characterized by a high essence quality. This plant is large and vigorous.
- ‘Femminello’: characterized by lower vigor and by an expanded foliage, this plant produces regular fruits both in shape and size, characterized by a thin skin with a high quality of essential bergamot oil. This plant is more delicate and has a lower adaptation level compared to other varieties.
Excellent as a natural antioxidant, bergamot consists of about 80% of water, citric acid, sugars (fructose, glucose, sucrose), proteins, dietary fibers and vitamin C. The dominant minerals are sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium. Ten drops of bergamot essential oil, have about 40 kcal.
Organic bergamots, just like the rest of citrus fruit, are particularly effective in reducing LDL bad cholesterol, increasing the values of "good" cholesterol and fighting high glycemia. The benefits of this crop are even more:
- Antiseptic, healing and soothing properties: bergamot oil is used for skin inflammation such as acne, or insect bites.
- Vitamin content: thanks to the presence of Vitamin C, organic bergamots are also useful in bone disorders caused by altered calcium absorption.
- Antidepressant: bergamot oil is a sleeping aid and helps to eliminate psychological disorders, by helping to find again serenity and peace with only few drops.
- Help to the respiratory tract: thanks to its antiseptic and antibacterial action, bergamot oil can also be used in suffusions, together with bicarbonate, especially in case of colds and inflammations, to disinfect and eliminate viruses and bacteria
Untreated bergamots are excellent for cooking and can be used in many different ways. From freshly squeezed juices (also mixed withNavel Oranges) to the preparation of cakes, candied fruit and jams, but also in the preparation of liqueurs thanks to their scented peel, these citrus fruit are also excellent for flavoring you teas and infusions as they are perfect substitutes of lemons.
Our organic bergamots are not even treated after harvesting (no waxes or anti-mold are used, which give a better appearance and increase the shelf life). The harvest takes place the same day of shipping your order: this is why our bergamots are not only genuine, but are also very fresh.
The cultivation takes place in open fields, following merely organic farming practices. Thanks to the absence of post-harvesting treatments, you can use their peel, which is rich in essential oils, to flavor many dishes or to prepare liqueurs. Our untreated bergamots, thanks to their freshness, last for several weeks after they have been harvested. However, it is necessary to pay attention to the how you store them; they must be stored in a dry and cool place, such as the balcony or the terrace, and far away from the direct contact with sun rays.
We are available for any information on our untreated bergamots, or if you want to find out more about our products. You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (including on WhatsApp) at 392.2012933.
Luca, Laura, Domenico, Giuseppe, Roberto and many other farmers that you already know, belong to this cooperative.
The Goel Cooperative was born to restore value and light to the beautiful territory of Calabria.< ...
I prodotti vengono spediti ad inizio settimana per garantire freschezza e qualità. Puoi leggere la data di consegna stimata per ciascun prodotto all'interno della sua scheda.
Puoi contattarci per qualsiasi esigenza relativa al tuo ordine, così come qualsiasi altra informazione, via email a email@example.com o telefonicamente (anche su WhatsApp) al 392.2012933.
Noi ti avviseremo per indicarti quando il corriere ti consegnerà i nostri prodotti, ma se comunque tu non dovessi essere in casa, verrai contattato per fissare una seconda consegna.
Per garantire la filiera corta, i prodotti vengono spediti direttamente dai nostri agricoltori. Questo significa che se hai acquistato da produttori differenti riceverai spedizioni differenti.
Certamente, puoi farlo dalla tua area personale, dove troverai un riepilogo dei tuoi dati tra cui l’indirizzo di consegna. Tuttavia la modifica non vale per le spedizioni in consegna.
Nell’email che ti abbiamo inviato alla conferma dell’avvenuta spedizione troverai tutti i riferimenti necessari per tracciare comodamente la spedizione e capire quando sarà consegnata.